Opportunities In Mission
Reaching the World
from the heart of Winston.
Centenary UMC Overflow Shelter
In recent days our homeless shelters have encountered an overflow of those who need shelter.
Centenary UMC and First Baptist Church will offer an Overflow Shelter during the month of February. Each evening we will host a meal at our Annex Building from 6pm – 8pm and then our guests will stay the night at First Baptist Church. There is no age limit to participate in this ministry. Our Annex is a brick building located on 5th Street, right across from the Library. Parking is available to the right of the Annex.
To provide for our brothers and sisters we need:
· Food Volunteers – Prepare, transport and bring food for 50 people (see below) – food needs to be delivered to the Annex at 6pm
· Serving Volunteers –Set up and clean up before our meal and help with serving food and beverages – 5:45 pm– 8pm
· Check In Volunteers – Welcome each person in the building and ask for them to sign in to the overflow shelter – 5:45 – 8pm
We need volunteers to provide a simple meal for 50 people.
Examples of a meal:
· Sandwiches, pasta salad and a cookie
· Chili and bread with a cookie
· Soup and bread with a cookie
· Pasta salad, mixed fruit and a cookie
We ask that you prepare these items at home and bring them ready to serve when you arrive at the Annex. Paper products (cups, plates, utensils and napkins) beverages and ice will be provided at the Annex. Prepare your food on large trays or bowls with serving utensils to distribute your food. You can pull your car up to the door of the annex to drop off the food.
A staff person will be at the Annex each night
to coordinate all the volunteers when you arrive.
If there are any questions please, please contact Rev. Maria King at
email@example.com or 354-3561
Other types of volunteers are needed:
Overnight volunteers: we need 3 people to stay at First Baptist from 8pm-7am. These volunteers will be encouraged to rotate in "sleeping shifts" (with each person needing be awake as little as 3 hours from 9pm-6am). This is our most urgent need.
Thank you for being a part of this wonderful ministry!
Samaritan Ministries: March is Centenary’s month to cover the overnight shifts with Samaritan Ministries. Available dates are March 2, 9 and 16. Your Time commitment will be 6:15 pm - 7:15 am.
Contact Rev. Maria Edmonds (397-1355) or firstname.lastname@example.org.